Sunday, October 18, 2009

Tomlinson's Corner Cemetery

I realize that I like to do everything in life in the hardest way possible. I could have rambled out to cemeteries during the mild months of weather. I will admit I probably would not go out in summer. I hate the heat and really do not do well in it. Still, zero degree days and 35 degree days? I can't go when it is 60 degrees out? Ah but anyway…

Several times I have thought to leave the Graveyard Rabbit community simple because my post is too long overdue and I feel I am not worthy of those Rabbits that do put in the time to produce an outstanding group of blogs. I feel I have let them down being very non-committal and I think really is that I just try to do too much and no matter how hard I try to refocus and do less, I still end up doing too much because I love to do it all. So to those that are more serious about their commitment to GYR, my heartfelt apologies of not pulling my share. I did change my mind about stepping out of the series for one reason alone, if I blog 50 times a year or even just 2.. Maybe in that 2 blogs, someone just might break through a brick wall in their family research just because I happened to take a snap shot and post it. Too, I just love going to cemeteries. I love the quiet, I love the history and I do go through a range of emotions when I see a line of stones of so many children lost to a couple.. Today's cemetery represents that.

October 16 and barely 38 degrees out. What gives with the early winter! This is a very small cemetery yet this cemetery has connections with the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Tomlinson;s Corners Cemetery is on Boughton Hill Road, Mendon in Monroe County, New York.








One thing I did notice was many of the stones here had weeping willows on them. There was a cluster anyway and perhaps all of the same family. In Googling I came up with the meaning "earthly mourning" and that in some cultures it represents immortality. I am not an expert. Another group were plain white stones in a long row. I have not researched this cemetery so I don't know anything about it so sometimes it is fun to try to surmise the why's of things though I am probably way off!

As you can see, it is a very small cemetery. The next shot is out across the road, it was a pretty fall day, the colors just starting.






Mrs. Brigham Young






Miriam Works Young
Wife of
Brigham Young
Born June 7, 1806
At Auerelius, New York
Died September 8, 1832
At Mendon, New York



Solomon F Kimball
Died July 9, 1825 Age 50
Father of
Heber C Kimball
And Great Grandfather of
Spencer W Kimball
The 12th President of
The Church of
Jesus Christ
Of Latter-Day
Saints






John Clafflin
CPL Capt Millers Co
Col Beard's Mass Regt
Revolutionary War
Apr  8 1754 -  Mar 17 1822




John Park
Captain
Died Feb 26, 1861
Age 84 Yrs
War of 1812













2 comments:

  1. I also live in the Rochester area and had no idea Mrs. Brigham Young was buried in this area. Our local cemeteries are so full of history. Thanks for making us aware.
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very welcome! And thank you for helping me see that 2 or 50 posts, its all good.

    ReplyDelete